Thursday, April 2, 2009

Today was a good day (originally written 7/25/07)

This afternoon, I drove out to the old homestead to do some laundry, but I wound up playing photographer with Jackie (mom, for those not in the know). She's still obsessed with her newest toy (digital camera), and I taught her how to use the self-timer on the cam. We spent a couple of hours taking pics of each other and ourselves.
Jackie even managed to rouse the Colonel (that would be my dad, FYI) from his afternoon nap and cajole him into a golf shirt for a family portrait. The Colonel even got Max the dog in on the act, making our family photo session complete.
I had a lot of fun this afternoon, puttering around the yard with Jackie, finessing angles and finding "good light." I mostly enjoyed the fact that our interests converged in such a fun way. It reminded me of when we lived in Fayetteville, and every Saturday Jackie would take me to the library downtown. We'd split up, find our books, then meet up at the checkout line to show each other our choices. It was like our special time, and I lived for it every weekend. Sounds a bit nerdy, I reckon, a 12 year old kid all excited about the library, but I more enjoyed spending time with my mom. She's really an extraordinary woman.
Not to be morbid, but today is the type of day for which I'll be grateful when my parents have died. Today was the kind of day that will comfort me, reminding me that we've spent quality time together. Yeah, today was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. you're getting me teary eyed...maybe cuz I just woke up.

    ReplyDelete