Monday, May 25, 2009

A Change is Gonna Come

The last week has been stressful as hell, but rewarding at the same time. My mornings have been spent going through training at the new job, while in the afternoons I've worked at the flower shop. This week marks my last week at the flower shop, so things will hopefully settle down some for me. Honestly, I'm feeling about my last day at the shop the same way a kid feels about the last day of school: a little anxious about the change, but excited about the new beginning. I'm particularly excited about the people I'll be working with. It's been a long time since I've had the chance to work with such fun-loving, high-spirited people, and I'm loving it. For example, last Wednesday we met up at Tavern on 4th for karaoke. We rather euphemistically called it a "team-building exercise," but it only took one song for the team to be officially built. That song was...wait for it...wait for it... Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again." I'd nicknamed us the Hampton Hoochies, and (if I do say so myself) we sang the hell outta that song. To be more precise, George (our new maintainance man) sang the hell out of it.
Who'd have thought that of a bunch of women, one gay man, and a maintainance engineer, the maintainance engineer would be the one to know every single word. Even the spoken interlude in the middle of the song. Giving credit where it's due, George didn't just sing that song, he rocked it. Then he rolled it over and spanked it, lol. Clearly, it was one of those moments we'll be talking about for years to come. It's also especially gratifying to know I'll be working in a place where I can actually contribute something. Boss Lady at the flower shop rides me so hard, sometimes I have to reach back to make sure she hasn't strapped a plow on my shoulders. While I know I'll be working hard at the hotel (especially as we're getting ready for grand opening) I feel appreciated in a way that I haven't in a long time. As douche-ish as it sounds, I can't wait to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment