Sunday, June 21, 2009

Comedy show with the parents

Last night was the Ricky Smiley comedy show at the Convention Center. Since I work closely with the center (and I'm friends with most of the staff over there) I got the hookup on tickets, and got some for my parents and me to attend the show. I figured they'd both have a good time, since they both generally like to laugh. It was hilarious listening to my mom crack up, and my dad hoot along with the audience. It did get a little awkward at a couple of points, but I hung in there and had a good time. Awkward moment #1 came when one of the opening comedians made a couple of jokes about smoking weed. I give my mother full credit for not turning to me and making a smartass comment. The second awkward moment of the night came when a comedian make a series of gay jokes. Not reaching the level of actual homophobia, but enough to make me a little hot under the collar. Normally I'd have gotten up and walked out, but the fact that my parents were sitting next to me kept me in my seat. Thankfully the moment passed quickly, and the night got better from there. The third awkward moment wasn't so much one particular moment, as it was a bunch of little sex jokes to which I felt weird responding in front of my parents. My personal favorite was about the little girl who saw some animals mating at the zoo ...her mother didn't want to explain sex to such a young child, so she told her the animals were "making cupcakes." Later that day the little girl was watching tv and again saw two animals going at it. Her mother again told her that they were "making cupcakes." When the little girl's father got home from work, he told his daughter to go outside and play, because he needed to talk to her mother alone. When the little girl came back in two hours later, she found her mother making dinner in the kitchen. "Mommy," she asked, "were you and Daddy making cupcakes while I was outside?" Startled, her mother responded, "Why yes. How did you know that?" Smiling, her daughter proudly answered "Cuz I licked all the icing off the couch!" Words cannot convey how hard it was for me not to laugh at that with my parents sitting right next to me, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment